Covid-19 Grounds 70% Trucking Business

| | ,

The spread of the Covid-19 has in the last 4 months grounded over 70 percent of truck drivers that transport goods within the Southern Africa Development Community -SADC- region while the other 30 percent transport only essential goods such as fuel and medicines.

Stanley Muluka is SADC Truck Drivers Association president and tells PHOENIX NEWS that this has negatively affected over 70 percent of the truck drivers in the region whose low salaries of about k2000 are only cushioned by trip allowances which are not forthcoming due to the failure by transporters to operate normally.

Mr. Muluka explains that most transporters have been forced to park their trucks as a result of measures several countries in the region have put up to curb the spread of the pandemic including lockdowns and mandatory 14 day quarantine periods.

He has however commended the SADC region for implementing measures aimed at halting the spread of covid 19 and is calling on the Zambian government to extend the donation of hand sanitizers and facemasks to truck drivers that are transporting essential goods and to further heighten disinfection of trucks at various points.

PHOENIX FM NEWS

Previous

Youth Activist Backs French Firm To Help Restructure Zambia’s Debt

VIDEO: American City Pays Tribute To Zambian Man Who Died Of Covid-19

Next