Zambia Records 3rd Coronavirus Victim Who Visited Pakistan Recently

| | ,

A 59-year-old Lusaka based Zambian man has become the latest and third victim to contract the Coronavirus.

Health minister Dr Chitalu Chilufya has disclosed that the man travelled to Pakistan on 9 March and returned on 18 March and was tested positive for Coronavirus today.

When he gave a fifth Coronavirus update Sunday afternoon, Dr Chilufya said the man is in a stable condition and is currently admitted in the isolation facility.

He also updated that the Zambian couple whose first case of Coronavirus was recorded from are no longer asymptomatic and responding well to treatment from their respective quarantine facility.

“We have raised the levels of alertness at all ports of entry and our port staff are working diligently to screen all travellers coming into the country from all high risk countries by taking their travel history and examining them for all symptoms while scaling up all preventive measures to contain the epidemic” Dr Chilufya said.

He further announced that President Edgar Lungu who is concerned with the rate at which the cases are growing has since set aside fifty seven(57) million Kwacha contingency emergency fund to successfully address the epidemic, a decision which emanated from the inter-ministerial meeting he summoned to encourage a multisectoral approach to the matter.

“The President is worried about the matter and he is following the issue very closely and putting in place all necessary measures to ensure that every Zambian citizen is protected from the epidemic” Dr Chilufya said and assured that escalated response will be provided at an appropriate time with the appropriate political authority.

Dr Chitalu also received a donation of 1 Million Kwacha from the National Pension Scheme Authority (NAPSA)towards the fight against the epidemic to which he thanked all cooperating partners for the continued support towards the epidemic and called for more support from various stakeholders in order to comprehensively adress the pandemic.

Dr Chilufya said so far 468 travellers out of over 2,900 have been re-integrated after successfully undergoing all the necessary screening and isolation procedures.

He emphasized the need for all to adhere to the prevention measures such as abiding to the quarantine and other guidelines and warned of stern action against those abrogating the set standards.

Previous

Tayali Narrates Ordeal Against Kambwili & Crew

Kaizer Zulu Denies Assaulting Lawmaker

Next